Doctoral Program Suspension

PhD students have the right to suspend their studies in case of:

  • maternity
  • serious and certified illness
  • internship programmes for the training of teachers (Italian TFA)

In the case of of suspension for serious illness the Doctoral Student can ask a 6 months suspension upon delivering medical records to support of his/her request. 
If the suspension should be longer than 6 months, the Doctoral student will submit a new request for suspension with new medical documentation. Non-EU Doctoral Students must submit medical documentation which has been legalized by the Italian Embassy.

Absence due to severe and documented personal and/or family reasons (other than the ones listed above with the addition of the Military Service) can be no longer than 3-months and must be explicitly authorized by the Doctoral School Committee upon approval by the student's advisor. 
If the sospension should be longer than 3 months, the Doctoral Student will submit a new request for suspension with new documentation supporting his/her request. The advisor has to agree.

To ask for a period of suspension, thre request of suspension (available in box Download at this page) must be filled out and sent together with any requested documentation to the ICT School Secretariat.

As soon the Students takes up attendance after suspension, he/shes has to submit to the ICT School Secretariat a declaration (available in box Download at this page), duly filled and signed.

Doctoral students who fail to attend their Doctoral course for more than 30 days, their scholarship payment will be suspended.

The scholarship payment and all the academic/administrative deadlines will be postponed for the same duration of the suspension.


Procedure for travel booking and expenses reimbursement.



  1. Before doing the online application please send an email to the ICT School Secretariat ( keeping your advisor in cc, with the detail of your mission:
    • where you go;
    • for what reason;
    • from which day to which day;
    • which fund you are going to use (either Personal or other funds).
  2. In order to finalize the authorization request, that must be done before the departure, you should:
    1. login at My UniTN (top right of every UniTRENTO website);
    2. access to "Gestione trasferte" (Missions manager);
    3. click on "Create a new Travel Authorization Request form", steps:
      • Applicant data: the data will be generated by the system, please check the "Choose the correct area" field displays the Department's name: Dipartimento di Ingegneria e Scienza dell'Informazione and the "in quality of" field displays your doctoral student status: Dottorando;
        Please note that even if you are not going to ask reimbursement, you must have your travel authorized for insurance reasons. In this case flag I don’t ask any reimbursement for this travel at the end of this session
      • Travel data: after having filled in the information on the travel, 
        FOR THE USE OF YOUR RESEARCH BUDGET choose in "search a project"  Principal Investigator: Giorgini, Paolo; in the funds list choose "Dotazione dott per attività ricerca S35 - 40300385" or type them in the fields (SAP code: 40300385; Description: Dotazione dott per attività ricerca S35)
      • Please note you can use your Personal Funds up to the end (31st October) of the third academic year.
        FOR THE USE OF OTHER FUNDS - Principal Investigator: Surname, Name of the fund's manager > FUND
        in Attachments upload a brochure/convocation e-mail/agenda/poster/screenshot of the event main webpage. This is very important, otherwise the Mission Office will reject your request;
      • Reasons;
      • Advance payment - fill in this part if you want to request an advance on the travel expenses you had done before leaving.

We would like to remind you that if you decide to leave and/or come back on a day different to the one written on the "Travel Authorization Request form", you must submit to the Accounting Office not only all the documents (receipts and bus/train/airplane tickets/boarding passes), but also a document showing the travel costs for the day written in the "Travel Authorization Request form"; the less expensive one will be reimbursed.

IMPORTANT: even if you are not going to not ask for reimbursement, please note that you must have your travel authorized for insurance reasons. In this case just flag I don’t ask any reimbursement for this travel at the end of the authorization's first part Applicant data


You should:


  1. login at MyUniTN;
  2. access to "Gestione trasferte" (Missions manager);
  3. find your travel and click on the "L" symbol (it's important you don't click on the A in the yellow box or in the A in the red one, the former will archive your mission, the later will delete it);
  4. in the "Travel Expenses Reimbursement Request form" steps:
    • Applicant data (the data will be generated by the system);
    • Travel data, insert the missing information (return time);
    • in Further data - Other notes: write every information that would be helpful for the reimbursement, such as: if you changed the day of your leaving/return, if the enrollment was paid with the Department Credit Card, if the tickets/hotels have been booked with a travel agency and paid directly by the University;
  5. Expenses incurred: insert one by one every expense you had, you'll have to submit to the Mission Office the original tickets/receipts in order to get reimbursed;
  6. Send "Travel Expenses Reimbursement Request form".
  7. Print the Expenses Incurred page and take the Original Receipts/Tickets/Boarding Passes to the Mission Office (via Sommarive 9, Povo 2 building ground floor) from monday to Friday 10:00am-12:00pm

NB: the use of a taxi is allowed up to € 30, in the trip from/to the airport/station and inside the mission municipality,

For any further question please refer to the Mission Office: (via Sommarive 9, Povo 2 building, ground floor)

Additional information:

  • All bookings, purchases, registration for conferences and formalities relative to the mission are to be carried out by the doctoral student
  • All bookings and purchases should be regulated according to the criteria of reasonable economical management (expenses relative to taxis, phone calls, Internet connections, personal use of car and anything not expressed in thr University Regulations concerning missions will not be reimbursed). In choosing the means of transportation you have to use the cheapest option, the same for lodging (student houses).
  • No reimbursement can be requested for a trip for personal reasons.
  • From the 29th Cycle, each student's personal funding amount corresponds to 2.800 Euros, to be used during the three years of School attendance.


Conferences/Summer/Winter Schools registration

PhD students can use their research budget to pay the fee for conferences or schools registration.

It is ncessary that the travel to the event must have been authorized first (see above "Procedure for travel booking and expenses reimbursement").

The Student can pay and then ask reimbursement or the Department can pay the fee with either bank transfer or credit card (see below) using the Student's reserach budget.

In the case of the bank transfer, the Student has to fill in and sign in the registration form (PDF form, DOC form) and take it to the ICT School Secretariat for the Coordinator's signature.
If the Conference/Summer/Winter School is organized by an Italian organization the payment must be made by bank trasfer. It is important that Students don't pay for their own such event otherwise they will not be reimbursed. 

When the event is organized by a foreign (not-Italian) organization Students can ask to use the Department Credit Card (depending by its monthly allowance) as well. In this case once they have obtained the Travel Authorization, they can contact with all the details needed for the registration.


Procedure for Recognition of Credits

Master's courses, courses offered by other PhD Schools and Summer/Winter School, except Doctoral Courses offered by the ICT International Doctoral School, need to have their credits recognised.

Students have to send an email to, with their advisor in CC, and with the following information/documents:


  • name of the Summer/Winter School/Course
  • organising University/Institution
  • place where it was held
  • starting and ending date
  • total amount of hours (in order to get credits Summer/Winter School/Course must be at least 20 hours long)
  • grade
  • certificate issued by Summer/Winter School/Course (attached to the email)